Skip to main content

Repetier host "Exception during socket read:Too many items in the combo box" - Solved!

I purchased a new BoXZY (3D printer, laser and CNC Mill) and have been pretty pleased so far.
See https://boxzy.com/

One little issue though is that I have been trying to configure it so that I can 3D print from my laptop without having to connect a USB cable to the printer.
The layout in my office is not convenient for the cable to span across the room.  Also, when I start using it for CNC Milling, I do not want to necessarily have my laptop too close to the router making all the dust. 

My first attempts to install Repetier Server on various platforms was less than successful.
I found that I often would get the error message "Exception during socket read:Too many items in the combo box" when I connected the application to whatever server that I configured.

What confused me is that it would work perfectly on one of several computers,. but I could not find a root cause.

In addition, I received a Smart Controller (Beta) from BoXZY which came with Windows 10 Home as well as the BoXZY interface. 

For me this would be a perfect remote server for Repetier since I could execute print jobs directly from the device, or I could submit them from my laptop,

Unfortunately, my first few attempts to get this to work were also not successful.
In desperation, I also installed a Raspberry Pi with Repetier server and had the same issue. 

After reading a couple of forums that described these same symptoms, and some rather confusing instructions on how to reproduce the problem, I think that I have figured out a work-around to this issue.

Basically, the issue is with the client, and having more than one printer defined. 
In fact, this thread http://forum.repetier.com/discussion/3360/too-many-items-in-the-combo-box-exception-in-reperier-host where the responder, an official with the Repetier group, says "I think I have solved for next release".

In any case, here is what I found.
Starting with a configuration that gives me the error as follows:
  • I install Repetier Server on the new computer.
  • I launch the Client, in my case the BoXZY interface
  • In the client, I select to configure a new printer.
    • Select Config -> Printer Settings
    • I Configure the connector to be Repetier-Server, and then fill in the IP address of the above server.
    • Click the Show button and a web page for the server will be launched,  Copy and paste the API Key from the server.
    • Now, in the Client, click on Disconnect and then Connect and you see the error message "Exception during socket read:Too many items in the combo box".
If the above happens to you, here are the steps that I found will fix that client.
  • Click Disconnect to detach the connect from the printer.
  • Click on Config -> Printer Settings
  • Click on the little Trash Can Icon next to the Printer name
  • Click Yes on the popup to confirm
  • Now enter a new name in the printer field.  The name should be what you want to use going forward. Then click OK.  
    This will pop up an error message: Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application.
  • Click Quit.  This will close the client application.
  • Now relaunch the client application. 
  • Select Config->Printer Settings one more time.
  • You will notice that it has your Printer name, but a default configuration.,
  • Change the Connector to Repetier Server, and enter the IP address of the server.
  • Click Show as above and again copy the API key from the web page.
  • Now it should be working properly.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Blinky" TDOA RDF Detector

Our local Amateur Radio club is building a Radio Direction Finding TDOA (Time Difference of Arrival) detector that has LED's to indicate the direction (Left or right) of the fox.  Here are the build instructions.   (Note: this project was originally presented by NZ1J.  See his video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNqUKYkifOo&t=68s   ) Here is the completed project: We start with the schematic:   Note that you either install PIN Diode pairs s D3 and D2, or Diodes pair D1 and D4.   The difference between these is the packaging.  If you are ok with Surface mount, then install D1/D4.  If you want discrete components use D3/D2. Next is the PCB.   The PCB can be ordered using the GRBR files available from the author.  The BOM for the electronic parts is as such: Doppler Direction Finder Bill of Materials   11/12/2021        Qty Part Digi-key Part Number References 1 PIC Pocessor PIC16F18324-I/P-ND U1 1 14 Pin Socket ED3114-ND U1 1 78L05 497-7268-ND U2

Radio Direction Finding - TDOA

This article describes a few projects that I built from plans for Amateur Radio Fox Hunting. Basically, the hobby/sport is for someone to hide a few low power "Foxes", which are small transmitters that beep or send Morse Code, and then have a bunch of HAM's try to find them. The first project that I built was a Yagi Antenna (Directional receiver) and a 4MHZ Offset Attenuator.  The attenuator is needed when you get close to the fox and you need to reduce the power of the received signal.  I struggled with this setup because, on my first 2 fox hunts, there was too much reflection and multi-path interference.  This causes false direction detection and if you are not mentally prepared for this, you want to throw all of your equipment into a garbage can and take up a different hobby.   There are some truly strange individuals who find this frustration fun and enjoy making other people suffer, but I will leave that discussion for another day.  Anyway, in one particularly frustr

Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 8.1) "Google Bug". Back Button hangs IE

I discovered this week that there is a bug in Google's web page that causes Internet Explorer 11 to hang when you click the back button. The specific scenario is that when you start on Google's web page, and go to a link of some sort, it can trigger this bug when you click back to return to google.  This is fairly well documented on some forums, in that it has been like this for a while, and Google seems unwilling, or unable, to modify their code to not trigger this bug. I do not consider it a IE11 bug as much as I consider it a problem with Google.  Microsoft should of course fix their issue, but also you would think that Google might take this seriously.  To trigger the issue, Go to google.com and search for something that takes you to a Microsoft page.  Example: "Exchange edge server".  Click on the first link and then click on any link on that Microsoft page.  Then click back twice.  The first "back" will work fine because it takes you to the original Mi