Skip to main content

Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 8.1) "Google Bug". Back Button hangs IE

I discovered this week that there is a bug in Google's web page that causes Internet Explorer 11 to hang when you click the back button.

The specific scenario is that when you start on Google's web page, and go to a link of some sort, it can trigger this bug when you click back to return to google. 

This is fairly well documented on some forums, in that it has been like this for a while, and Google seems unwilling, or unable, to modify their code to not trigger this bug. I do not consider it a IE11 bug as much as I consider it a problem with Google.  Microsoft should of course fix their issue, but also you would think that Google might take this seriously. 

To trigger the issue, Go to google.com and search for something that takes you to a Microsoft page.  Example: "Exchange edge server".  Click on the first link and then click on any link on that Microsoft page.  Then click back twice.  The first "back" will work fine because it takes you to the original Microsoft page.  Now click Back again.  IE will eventually display (Not responding) on the status line, and you will need to force a closure of the browser.

I do not know of any workaround, other than to always open any link on the Google web page with a right-click and "Open new tab", or even easier is to use another browse such as Firefox.

Before anyone flames me, I did do all of the standard things such as:

Comments

  1. I may have a solution for you. This is what just worked on a workstation at my workplace experiencing this problem: I saw some stuff about disabling protected mode, and tried that eventually and it worked. However, the specific issue seems to be listing *.google.com in the trusted sites list. Once I removed it from that list, I could turn on Protected Mode for both the Internet and Trusted Sites zones. Originally I had only been turning off Protected Mode in the Internet zone, and that worked; but I think it may have already been off for Trusted Sites, before I disabled IE, restarted, re-enabled it, and restarted again. Not entirely sure - I just know that google.com removed from Trusted Sites and Protected Mode now on again for both zones == back button to Google search results now working again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been experiencing this for a while, on both my work and home PC's. I finally found a solution/workaround - delete all Google-related cookies. I use a program called CCleaner to clean up my system periodically, and one of its functions is to delete cookies. But you can configure it with exceptions for websites whose cookies you want it to keep. So naturally I had Google's various site cookies saved so I wouldn't have to key in my username, password, two factor ID codes, etc. every time. But apparently at some point the cookies get 'stale' (corrupted) and the hanging-on-back-button-to Google begins. So I remove the exceptions, clear out all the Google cookies, and log back into the sites again as if for the first time which generates new cookies. Then it seems to work again, for months after that until whatever it is happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this problem with the back button now for a while. found that running the speech recognition in controlpanel was the problem. it was not a problem at first but now I find if I disable it and restart ie 11 I have no problems with going back using google. This issue has been discussed on many forms with different conditions.
    my condition happens every where I go then try to come home. may be some add on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Blinky" TDOA RDF Detector

Our local Amateur Radio club is building a Radio Direction Finding TDOA (Time Difference of Arrival) detector that has LED's to indicate the direction (Left or right) of the fox.  Here are the build instructions.   (Note: this project was originally presented by NZ1J.  See his video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNqUKYkifOo&t=68s   ) Here is the completed project: We start with the schematic:   Note that you either install PIN Diode pairs s D3 and D2, or Diodes pair D1 and D4.   The difference between these is the packaging.  If you are ok with Surface mount, then install D1/D4.  If you want discrete components use D3/D2. Next is the PCB.   The PCB can be ordered using the GRBR files available from the author.  The BOM for the electronic parts is as such: Doppler Direction Finder Bill of Materials   11/12/2021        Qty Part Digi-key Part Number References 1 PIC Pocessor PIC16F18324-I/P-ND U1 1 14 Pin Socket ED3114-ND U1 1 78L05 497-7268-ND U2

Radio Direction Finding - TDOA

This article describes a few projects that I built from plans for Amateur Radio Fox Hunting. Basically, the hobby/sport is for someone to hide a few low power "Foxes", which are small transmitters that beep or send Morse Code, and then have a bunch of HAM's try to find them. The first project that I built was a Yagi Antenna (Directional receiver) and a 4MHZ Offset Attenuator.  The attenuator is needed when you get close to the fox and you need to reduce the power of the received signal.  I struggled with this setup because, on my first 2 fox hunts, there was too much reflection and multi-path interference.  This causes false direction detection and if you are not mentally prepared for this, you want to throw all of your equipment into a garbage can and take up a different hobby.   There are some truly strange individuals who find this frustration fun and enjoy making other people suffer, but I will leave that discussion for another day.  Anyway, in one particularly frustr